This post is long overdue! I’ve been making this chicken at least twice a month and I’m excited to finally have the recipe on my blog.
Why I love it so much:
1) It’s affordable. I usually have the spices on hand anyway, so all I have to do is buy a big pack of chicken and I’m done ingredient-wise.
2) It’s delicious and interesting and not your normal boring chicken dish… Huge plus!
3) It’s easy. Throw some spices and meat into a slow cooker and you are done!
Chicken (I use this from Trader Joes – bone in/skin on.)
The spice mixture:
4 teaspoons of salt
4 teaspoons of paprika
1 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons of onion powder
2 teaspoons of thyme
2 teaspoons of white pepper
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
Rinse the chicken with cold water
Get all that beautiful spice under the skin and all over the meat. (gag.)
Place it into the slow cooker on low, no liquid needed, for 5-6 hours.
That is literally it.
I serve it up with cornbread and green beans.
The evolution of my cornbread:
1. Always a slightly unhelpful helper to help mix the batter. 😀
2. Butter into a cast iron skillet, and into the oven for a few minutes to melt the butter and get the skillet hot.
3. Batter into the hot pan. Don’t forget to use mitts when you put it back in the oven!
4. It comes out with buttery golden edges and reminds me of my childhood.
The beans are from Trader Joes, just a bag of fresh green beans. I toss them with olive oil and minced garlic (from a jar!) and roast them at 400 for about 20 minutes. They are really just so good cooked this way.
That’s it! Comfort paleo food at its finest. Okay, the corn bread wasn’t paleo, but it was worth it!
Hope you try it.
(This was originally a paleomagazine.com recipe.)